Advertisement

Shooting on Piedmont Avenue - Thursday January 10, 2008

topic posted Fri, January 11, 2008 - 2:42 PM by  Unsubscribed
Share/Save/Bookmark
Thursday afternoon at 4:30 PM there was a shooting on the top of Piedmont Avenue at Pleasant Valley Road.

www.ktvu.com/news/15025347/detail.html

OAKLAND, Calif. -- A ten-year-old boy, wounded by a stray bullet from a nearby robbery that crashed into a music school where he was taking piano lessons, was expected to recover but has debiliating injuries, authorities said Friday.

The bullet was from one of several shots fired during a robbery attempt at a Chevron gas station at 4400 Piedmont Ave. at Pleasant Valley Road in Oakland about 4:30 p.m. Thursday and traveled across the street and into the Harmony Road Music School, where the boy was taking a lesson, according to police spokesman Roland Holmgren.

The boy was taken to a local hospital, where he underwent surgery, Holmgren added.

Several police officers were completing a traffic accident investigation in the area when they heard the gunshots from the robbery and citizens directed them to the suspects' vehicle, which was speeding away from the scene.

"[I was] just coming around this corner and I heard 'Bam! Bam! Bam!' Three guns shots," said witness Matthew Sills of Oakland.

The gunman took off in a Ford Mustang and was pursued by a patrol officer passing through the area, according to authorities. The chase ended about a mile away near 51st Street and Telegraph Avenue where the driver lost control of the vehicle and crashed into another car.

Officers quickly handcuffed the alleged gunman and a woman who was also inside the Mustang.

"We were able to get the suspect into custody. We recovered a loaded firearm ski mask and some money proceeds from the robbery," Holmgren said.

Police identified the driver as 24-year-old Jared Adams of Oakland. Witnesses identified Adams as the robber and the shooter and officers arrested him for multiple felony charges, according to Holmgren. He said Adams has a prior criminal record, including a prior gun conviction.

Holmgren said the passenger of the vehicle was identified as Maeve Clifford and she was arrested on robbery charges.

Meanwhile, back at the scene of the robbery, police and witnesses said that the bullets fired by the suspect had reached two different targets. Two of the bullets hit an SUV parked across the street from the gas station in front of the Harmony Road Music School on Piedmont Avenue.

The third bullet struck a ten-year-old music student who was in the midst of a piano lesson at the school.

"I heard this kid screaming in the next room, so I ran over. They were screaming 'Can we get up and leave?' and I told them to stay down," said Oakland resident John Dewey.

Dewey was also playing piano when the gunfire erupted. He says the bullet traveled through the building, the piano, and into the young boy's abdomen.

"When I ran back in, we lifted his shirt and he did have an entry wound in his rib cage. We tried to keep him calm. He was in pain, but not fully aware that he was shot at that point," said Dewey.

Dewey says the boy was conscious and alert when he was transported to children's hospital.

"This is extremely sad. Here's a 10-year-old child, innocent as can be, doing what he is suppose to at the end of a school day. Learning piano," Holmgren said.

The case will be presented to the Alameda County District Attorney's Office for filing charges against Adams and Clifford, Holmgren said.

Copyright 2008 by KTVU.com and Bay City News.

posted by:
Unsubscribed
Advertisement

Recent topics in "Piedmont Ave, Oakland"